When it comes to condiments, I am a bit of a purist. I like to make my own mayonnaise and ketchup, as well as sauces like Nashville Hot Sauce (so good on chicken!).
There’s nothing that compares to freshly made ingredients that either stand-alone or are incorporated into other recipes. That’s why I love chipotle ketchup.
Table of Contents
Chipotle Ketchup Sauce
Spicy ketchup with chipotles is one of those applause-worthy condiments that takes an ordinary ingredient and elevates it with such little work. Just a little adobo here, and some chipotles too, and all of a sudden you have a standard turned stage-worthy with the wee help of a processor or mixer.
From elevating meatloaf, chili, and eggs to transforming your potatoes and grilled cheese, this sauce could become your next regular recipe in your repertoire. If you like spicy sauces, this will satiate your appetite and make you the star at the next cookout or just in your own kitchen.
What is Chipotle Ketchup?
Ketchup on its own can be a little lackluster. The sweet tomato with just a touch of vinegar isn’t always very interesting outside of garnering the attention of the littles.
Chipotle ketchup brings a mix of tangy sweetness to the table. The puree of the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce with the ketchup creates a marriage of flavors that can kick up the heat on any dish you might typically make with ketchup.
You can get spicy ketchups at the store or make one from just hot sauce and chili powder, but making your own is so easy and even more satisfying.
You can control the spice and make all the variations you need to fit your recipe! There’s really no reason to buy it when it’s so simple to make at home.
- Ketchup– when it comes to ketchup, you can choose your favorite brand. Whether it’s Heinz, French’s, Del Monte, a store bought brand, or the somewhat newly available Whataburger brand, any will work well in this recipe. If you want to really bring your freshness game, make your own easy homemade ketchup.
- Chipotle peppers– while you could use canned or jarred chipotle peppers if they’re available at your store, I prefer the flavor of fresh peppers. When you’re looking for quality chipotle peppers, make sure to find those that are whole and somewhat tough but with a bit of flexibility as well.
- Adobo sauce– made from dried chile peppers, this sauce is thick and velvety and adds an earthiness to any dish.
How To Use Chipotle Ketchup
The possibilities are endless for how you can use this spicy ketchup. Of course you can dip your french fries or sweet potato fries in it or use it to top a burger or hot dog. But what else can you do with the spicy concoction?
First off, you can start your day right by smothering some scrambled (or fried) eggs with it, or use it as a dipping sauce for your home fries, hash browns, or twice baked breakfast potatoes. You can also pack a flavor punch in your morning breakfast burrito.
At lunchtime, sub out your tomato soup for this sauce as a dip for grilled cheese (or you can make a great grilled cheese stick appetizer, too, once again subbing the soup for the sauce).
Speaking of appetizers, chipotle ketchup is also a perfect dip for potato skins or a blooming onion. Any kind of fritters, like corn, cauliflower, or squash are delectable dipped in this, and soft pretzels are delightful, too.
- Mayo– make another spicy dipping sauce by combining chipotle ketchup with mayonnaise. You can use your favorite store bought brand of mayo or you can make your own super easy blender mayonnaise.
- Other spicy ingredients- if you can never get enough heat, you can kick it up by adding other peppers (check out this Scoville scale for some ideas).
- Jalapeño juice– to add a little tang and heat, add just a bit of juice from a jar of sliced jalapeños.
- Herbs and spices– experiment with this ketchup by adding other herbs and spices that you enjoy like garlic, onion powder, or even smoked paprika.
- Sweeten it up– if you need a sweet sauce, try adding a bit of honey for a fantastic sweet/spicy combination of flavors.
Store chipotle ketchup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
More Dipping Sauces
Chipotle Ketchup Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- Place the ketchup, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce in a small food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Mixture might not be totally smooth and that is fine.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.