This easy avocado crema recipe brings together the tang of Greek yogurt with the creaminess of avocado.
This tasty sauce has a velvety smooth texture and is a great way to to add bright flavor to your favorite Mexican dishes from fish tacos
Whether you’re looking for a way to craft a flavorful taco on taco Tuesday or you’re looking for an easy sauce recipe that will brighten up other cuisines, this crema will deliver.
Table of Contents
What is Avocado Crema?
Avocado crema is a flavorful sauce that combines Greek yogurt and creamy avocado. Earthy garlic mingles with bright lime for a balance of flavors.
This creamy avocado sauce also incorporates cilantro, if you choose. It also adds both earthiness and citrus notes.
As an added bonus, avocado crema is a healthy condiment (or dip) with its probiotic-rich Greek yogurt and avocado that’s packed with heart-healthy fat.
With only a handful of ingredients you can find at any grocery store, this creamy dip (or sauce) is both easy and affordable.
- Plain Greek yogurt – Choose any brand that you like but be sure it’s unsweetened.
- Avocado – Make sure to pit the avocado and then dice it so that the small pieces are easily blended.
- Fresh cilantro – This is an optional ingredient. Some people have a genetic aversion to the herb so you might benefit from leaving it out if you’re serving this at a large party.
- Garlic – Grate the garlic so that it is super fine.
- Fresh lime juice – While fresh limes are the best to use you can use bottled lime juice in a pinch.
- Lime zest – You’ll get to use the whole lime by juicing it and then zesting it on a microplane.
- Coarse kosher salt – This helps to round out all of the flavors. You can use any salt that you prefer – we like kosher or sea salt.
How To Use Avocado Crema
There are few savory foods not made better with this simple sauce.
- Mexican food – Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, nachos, quesadillas and any of your other favorite Mexican foods are all even more delicious with this creamy avocado crema.
- Dipping sauce – Crema is a great dip for vegetables, potato chips, and tortilla chips.
- Potatoes – This creamy sauce is the perfect topping for a baked potato or you can whip into mashed potatoes. Or, dip french fries or roasted potatoes into it.
- Soups – Mix this sauce into stews and soups (like chicken tortilla) for a creamy consistency and added flavor. You can also add a dollop on top of chili.
- Eggs – Put a fun twist on eggs Benedict by subbing this sauce for traditional hollandaise or brighten up your huevos rancheros with it. If you need a thinner consistency, you can use a bit of heavy cream.
- Salad – Use the crema as a salad dressing for a simple green salad or a Buffalo chicken salad.
- Sandwiches – Spread this tangy avocado cream sauce on your favorite sandwich or wrap. It’s also great on traditional burgers or veggie burgers.
Like any good sauce, there are lots of options for changing up the flavor profile of avocado crema.
- Sour cream – Instead of Greek yogurt, you can use full fat sour cream.
- Guacamole – If you don’t have fresh avocados on hand you can mix in prepared guacamole and adjust the other ingredients to taste.
- Herbs – If cilantro is an herb that doesn’t work with your palate (or your guests’) you can try parsley, Thai basil, or dill instead.
- Spices – For a nuanced flavor profile try adding cumin or tajin.
- Heat – For a spicy avocado crema, add hot sauce, jalapenos, chili powder, or cayenne.
- Mayo – To thicken the sauce or make it even more creamy, add your favorite brand of mayonnaise.
- Powder – Instead of fresh garlic use garlic powder.
- Citrus – If you find yourself out of limes and lime juice, you can substitute lemon juice instead.
- Vegan crema – Use vegan yogurt or vegan sour cream to tranform this into a dairy-free avocado crema.
Storage, Make Ahead and Freezing
Keep this delicious sauce stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Make Ahead: Avocado crema will last for several days so it’s easy to make it ahead for parties. Be sure to mix it well before serving.
Refrigerator: Store avocado crema in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container or a bowl covered with a piece of plastic wrap.
Freezer: If you add mayonnaise to this sauce we do not recommend freezing. Otherwise, you can store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months in the freezer though it is possible that the texture may not remain the same.
Other Savory Sauces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro optional
- 1 clove garlic grated*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Place the yogurt, avocado, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, zest and salt into a small food processor and pulse until smooth. There might still be bits of cilantro, this is normal.
- Cover and chill for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.
This was so good! Put it on tacos for dinner. Yum!
I’m ready to dip chips, veggies and all sorts of things into this amazing avocado crema.
I can practically drink this stuff! Finger-licking good!
this is delicious in so many things. I love adding it to breakfast burritos right now
This is fantastic spooned over fish tacos! It’s also great in a burrito bowl where it can take the place of salad dressing. For me, cilantro is a must!